Radiator Fan Switch

• Radiator Fan Switch

Hi,

The cooling fan on my 91 2.0 190e is not kicking in. I replaced the switch, but now the temp gauge doesn’t work. The gauge trembles a little when I start the car, but that’s all.

The tacho is working, so it’s not the fuse.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Let me make sure I understood correctly: You replaced the switch, and your cooling fan is still not working, and now your temp gauge is broken?

About your fan: Have you tried turning the ignition on and bridging the pinholes in the fan switch plug with a paperclip to see if the fan clutch clicks? It rarely ever breaks, but that's an easy way to make sure that it's not the fan clutch itself.

Other than that: Is it possible that you damaged the temp gauge wire whilst replacing the fan switch?

Would you mind sharing a picture of the temp gauge sensor and fan switch on your cylinder head?
      »Ziemlich unsensibel und egoistisch. Ein soziales Jahr würde dir vielleicht mal ganz gut tun.«
      - Midnightstar
    • Hi there,

if I am not mistaken, the fan switch has been replaced to make the fan work but now the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster is no longer working properly.

We are talking about two different issues which are not really connected to each other. If the temperature gauge is not working properly, there are two things to blame: the sensor itself or the gauge. In most cases it is the latter, especially if the little indicator is oscillating, i.e. „trembling“. Another reason could be as Venom suspects that the wiring between the sensor and the instrument cluster has been damaged (short circuit?).

By the way the speedometer always works regardless of any electrical power.

Hopefully you find the reason for your problem and you can fix it.

Cheerfully yours,
      Peter